Thursday, June 18, 2009

Over and done with...

Well, the DREADED dental appointment is over and done with. Going off from a previous post, we were going to get Kylee's 9 cavities filled while under sedation. Little did I know that we were up for a few surprises......good and bad!
*
Here is my little Miss Sunshine right before we left the house. I told her to smile and show me how "happy" she was to be going to the dentist! This is what I got! I don't blame her!
*
Finally got a smile out of her on the way to the dentist. She had no idea what was up ahead of her! (Look at those pearly whites!!! How can they possibly be bad??)

*
She drank some "sleepy juice" when we got there and we sat around in this little room until it started to take affect. This is her playing in the little bed while waiting to fall asleep.

*
Didn't take long. Only about 30 minutes and she was out!

*
When the dentist finally got in her mouth, he discovered 6......count them SIX more cavities between all her bottom front teeth. This would make a total of 15 cavities. HOLY CRAP! I've never heard of a child, or an adult for that matter, having this many cavities. Apparently it isn't that uncommon though. At least that's what the dentist told me........I hope he wasn't just trying to make me feel better! But if he was, it helped! But I still feel like the worst Mom ever! Poor baby! She took the medicine like a champ! Even though he had to stay in her mouth longer, he didn't have to give her more medicine. She was semi-awake for the last part but just sat there and cooperated! That's my girl!
*
Here she is on the car ride home....(exhausted)

*
And still right now at this very moment, she is crashed on the lazy boy! I'm so glad this is over and done with! I was so worried!

*
The good news that came from all this was the fact that they didn't have to crown her back cavities like they originally thought. So the total came to $200 less than we had planned for! Woo hoo! But regardless of it being less, we still have practically met our maximum insurance for dental for the year because of this ONE visit! Children are expensive! Maybe that's why we can't currently have more children. We can't afford them!!!

6 comments:

*Katie May* said...

poor thing. Ya some people teeth are just more prone to cavities. I need to be better at getting my kids teeth brushed

Yours, Mine, Ours said...

Don't worry, Logan went through a similar situation with her baby teeth. But I have learned that the best thing to do is to go to the denist in the fall or winter because your dental insurance allotment will be renewed at the beginning of the year. Just a tidbit of info.

nevedobson said...

awww... poor kylee and poor mommy!

ensman said...

I'm so glad everything went good! I have worked in a pediatric dental office for 6 years and have seen MUCH worse!! I don't think most people think flossing is so important so young. I am so glad you guys had a good experience and she is doing good!!

ensman said...

I'm so glad everything went good! I have worked in a pediatric dental office for 6 years and have seen MUCH worse!! I don't think most people think flossing is so important so young. I am so glad you guys had a good experience and she is doing good!!

Justina Selim said...

Ah cavities in kids are the worst! Your experience was much better than ours though. Aiden just recently had 2 cavities filled. They gave him the sleepy juice and he didn't fall asleep. I wasn't allowed to go back and they said that he screamed the entire time! Poor guy still talks about it and it has been like 3 weeks! So much for it not being traumatic! I was so irritated! Pay all that money for sedation for nothing!!