Wednesday, May 20, 2009

First trip to the dentist

If you haven't noticed, my goal is to post something new every day this week. Okay, so that's not my goal but so much has been happening lately that I feel like I'm posting daily! Anyhow, Kylee had her first dental cleaning today. Traci (from our ward) did an AMAZING job! Kylee was excited and laughed and cooperated so well. I was so proud of her! I think I was more worried than her.
*
She did so well during her cleaning that they took some x-rays of her teeth. Apparently they don't normally take x-rays on little kids because it's hard for them to do and most kids can't sit still through them. Kylee took those x-rays like a champ!

*
Here she is showing off her clean, WHITE smile!

*
I almost don't want to write what I'm about to write because it's so sad. Kylee ended up having 9.....count them.....N-I-N-E cavities! I was shocked when I heard that because Kylee LOVES to brush her teeth and rarely misses a day of brushing. Apparently her teeth are so close together that her toothbrush can't reach between them. I didn't realize I needed to floss my 3 year old's teeth!!! She has cavities between all her molars (top and bottom) and one small cavity on her front lower tooth. My poor baby is going to have to be sedated to get all this dental work done. I'm glad that she won't be in pain, but so sad because going under for anything (small or big) is a scary thing! I know she'll do great and she will be fine, but I'm so scared! I just want all this to be over!
(Thank goodness for David's new AMAZING dental insurance......we won't have to pay a penny!!!)

4 comments:

*Katie May* said...

that's great she did so well. No fun on the cavities etc... I need to take myself and my kids to the dentist. can you email Dr. Goodman's number? ktcluff@gmail.com thanks :)

Anonymous said...

i remember zachary's first trip to the dentist 4 cavities- same thing between the molars it is so hard to floss them when they are so little. get the floss sticks they make it easier. We haven't had a cavity since! Good luck:)

kimberly said...

stef i went through the same thing the week mikenna turned 3. i was shocked to because i never fed her sugar and she brushed all the time. she had nine cavities as well and had to have a tooth pulled. they put her under with a gas mask and i was in the waiting room for an hour while they worked on her teeth. it was so sad to see her laying there in this huge chair but she survived and so will kylee. plus mikenna has not had a cavitiy since, knock on wood. good luck!!

nevedobson said...

bummer about the cavities...

thanks for the flossing tip for the future. luckily i still have some time, emmi still has missing teeth and gnarly gaps.

glad she was so good!